MAKE YOUR OWN WASHI
I made my own approx 10.75″ long washi. It took me about 10 minutes.
- a good printer
- either full sheet paper stickers or full sheet clear stickers
here are amazon links for the sticker paper; I am not affiliated with amazon, and I don’t get anything for posting these links.
clear sticker: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006HUP7/
paper sticker: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000093L1J/
fill a page with whatever design you like. for my practice I did a black and pink pattern in strips.
I printed this image on the clear stickers and on the paper stickers.
my printer does not print watersafe ink, so it’s not waterproof. I suppose you could clear gesso over the page before cutting it into strips.
I cut them into strips and then tried them out over regular notebook paper to test their transparency.
- transparent where there is white in your design
- somewhat transparent throughout
- colors are much brighter!
- black isn’t true black
- the tape is shiny
- it doesn’t tear like washi does
- is more like scotch tape
- doesn’t cut with decorative scissors
- not at all transparent, white in your design = white tape
- bright colors are desaturated
- black looks black
- the tape is not shiny
- it tears like washi but you can see the white paper core
- is more like washi!
- you can cut it with decorative scissors to create a fun edge